I have been knitting up a storm, but I am still fiddling with my lame-o camera to take a quality photo of the finished work!
In the meantime, here's something I finished awhile ago.
A few months ago, I was helping clean out the storage shelves at my work, and happened upon so awesome glazed ceramic tiles. I was immediately inspired to make some collagey (not really a word, but whatevs) coasters. Here's the first one I made for my friend Nicholas.
Nicholas is really into the outdoors and cycling so I decided to take these facts and run with them. I collaged the background with a glue stick and magazine pictures. I then found a gear silhouette online, printed it, and covered it with electrical tape, cut it out and glued it on top. I wrapped the ugly white edge with black ribbon, and then proceeded on my mission to find the best collage sealant around.
I think it's pretty important for a coaster to be waterproof, don't you? I asked at Joann's (clueless), and Collage (a fantastic store in Portland, much more helpful), they offered their best advice, and I walked away with supposedly the best sealing spray...not so much. I added layer after layer, sprayed it once in the morning, once at night, and hoping it was safe, delivered it to Nick. Sadly, Nick reported back soon after that it was rippling under increased moisture, which caused an understandable stream of obscenity.
I'm still proud of it as a work of art...but I would have loved it if it could have been functional art. While discouraging, this project has inspired me to look into working with resin, and other nifty (not to mention waterproof!) mediums.
On a personal note, loving Portland, I think it was meant to be.
Will post the new knits soon!